Yup, it's been a while. I got so caught up with Thanksgiving, I neglected my NeverTooOldFor blog. I'm a bit more organized for Christmas, so I'm back and ready to give you more ideas of how to be never too old - for just about anything.
Smack dab in the middle of the feel-good season seems like a good time to share something I learned recently. Be very careful if you have a young child or companion animal and use any kind of medicinal body cream, spray or gel, i.e., hormones, analgesics, treatments for psoriasis, etc.
Kids and pets are prone to sticking everything in their mouths, or at least licking everything in sight, and that includes people's hands, legs, or arms. Unfortunately, they can wind up absorbing medications orally and becoming really sick.
Veterinarians around the nation are reporting seeing dogs and cats with enlarged breast tissue, occasional vaginal bleeding, and confusing blood test results. Some animals even appear to be in heat, despite having been spayed years before.
Simply wiping your hands after using a cream, gel, or spray medication isn't enough to prevent your child or pet from absorbing the medication, experts say.
Here are some recommended precautions to take if you are currently using topical medications:
1. Creams, gels, and sprays can be effective if used on areas other than hands, arms, and legs. Try your backs and shoulders, or other places less accessible to your child or pet.
2. If you do have to place topical medications on your hands, arms, or legs, such as hormones, cover any affected skin left exposed.
3. If you must be with a child or animal while using topical medications, try to avoid close contact until the preparation has completely dried.
4. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after using any medications.
5. To be extra cautious, wear disposable gloves when handling topical products, but be sure to properly dispose of the gloves when finished.
Oh, before I forget, here's some great little stocking stuffers for you and the other NeverTooOldFor people on your list - you'll love all the great little 99 cent items - I know I did!
SallyBeauty.com Clearance Center
Until next time, readers, don't act your age!