Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Never too old for...
playing in the rain

I played in the rain last week and I liked it.

When I was young, I loved getting wet and exploring all the ways to make it happen. Whether I was practicing my television commercial spokesperson career in the bathtub, splashing around in my blue plastic backyard pool,  or begging for 10 minutes in every motel swimming pool along our summer vacation route, I got my mermaid on frequently. I certainly went out of my way to get caught outside during summer showers.

Fortunately, I grew up, got reasonable, and shook off all my foolish ways - not!

We're never too old for the unexpected!
 About 40-some years later - this past Sunday, to be exact -  I was doing my back exercises in our pool and it started to rain. It was a hot, humid day that produced a steady rain, not the soaking or pounding kind. There was no thunder or lightening. It was the perfect kind of rainfall I would expect in heaven.

At first, the reasonable adult in me flipped out a bit and demanded I leave the pool. Then my inner little girl whined, "Hey, you're already wet and this will be fun!" The "I wanna" child in me won out and I stayed in the pool, splashing and swimming around and watching the rain dance on the water surface. I closed my eyes and let the tap, tap, tap of the rain drops hypnotize me. I leaned back and closed my eyes to allow the warm drops to sting my face. It was a magical time, just the sort of thing we're never too old to enjoy.

If you've gotten to play in the rain lately and it brought a smile to your face, tell me about it under the "Post a Comment" section below.

~ Until next time, don't act your age! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment