Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never too old for...
primer

Every man with whom I've ever had a significant relationship has told me I have great skin and don't need makeup to be pretty. I've always figured it was because they just wanted to get me out the door and into the car so we wouldn't be late to wherever we were going.

It never dawned on me they told me this because it was true. OK, yes, I admit to some self esteem issues, but that's another post entirely.

We all know women who can go without makeup and basically look good, no matter their age. Of course, there are others who shouldn't leave their house without first "putting on face." At 57, I'm somewhere in the middle, although my husband still thinks I don't need makeup. (Isn't he just precious?)

I think once we reach our fifth decade on this planet, previous bad habits have caught up with our skin. Did we worship the sun when we were young? Did we smoke? Did we frequently fall asleep with our makeup on? Did we go without sunglasses and squint into the sun a lot? Whatever we did 30 years ago plays out on our complexion today in terms of uneven skin tone, puffiness, under eye circles, and wrinkles.

For beauty's safe, you could go under the knife. You could buy tons of concealer or that air brush gizmo allegedly used by the stars. Or you could buy a foundation primer, a product I guarantee will help mute out youthful indiscretions and make your skin look smooth and well-rested, whether you like full face makeup, or choose to go without it altogether.

I love trying various beauty products which is why I'm surprised I just discovered primer last year. Foundation primer goes on over your moisturizer and before your foundation. Primer helps someone like me, with oily skin and some sun damage from my 20s, maintain a smooth facial surface that stays flawless for several hours. And if you can find one that has "luminizing" properties, it will reflect light and make you look like you've had 9 hours of sleep.

I've tried three different brands of primer during the past three months and so far, my favorite is Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. It contains vitamins, grape seed extract, and green tea, and is shown here.




Foundation primer is a little gift for ourselves we're never too old for and a nice little secret to pass on to others.

~ Until next time, don't act your age! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment