Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never too old for...
the word, "No."

Like many women, I've spent most of my life fairly calm and focused. I'm OCD enough to know that I require a tighter than normal level of organization to accomplish all I need and want to do in a day's time.

There have been a few occasions when I've been the antithesis of all of that. I think I've grown a souvenir gray hair for every one of those times, hence the need these days to get highlights. When my life has collapsed into chaos, it's always been the same culprit: I've said, "Yes" when I should have said, "No."

"No" is universal. "No" is honest. "No" is a complete sentence.

Not using "the tool of no" eventually depletes us. With each "Yes" we give away another chunk of personal energy. We become targets for people out there who don't take care of themselves and who steal positive energies from those who work hard to develop them.

I just finished a book which actually prompted this blog entry. "Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life" by Judith Orloff reminds the reader that saying, "No" is a perfectly acceptable way of taking care of oneself without making any apologies.

When we've been around this planet for over five decades and survived the bumps and breaks life brings, "No" may well be the best fountain of youth we'll ever discover. You can find Orloff's book here:





~ Until next time, don't act your age! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment